Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Looking the Part

I'm guilty. I admit it. I wore a plain yellow t-shirt and polka dot capris today, no jewellery, and plain shoes. It was very casual.

In my current work environment, I am fortunate that I can do that on days when I don't feel like dressing right up for work, but I always feel guilty when I do it, because I feel like I'm not setting a good example for the clients I'm working with. It's a conflict between Generation X (inherited from the Boomers) sensibilities, and Generation Y/Millennial desire to get down to work and ignore the social nonsense.

I am not currently looking for work, so I can get away with a casual-but-neat appearance. If my role had more to do with employers, I wouldn't get away with such casual attire, nor would I want to. There are still certain standards for appearance in the business world, established by generations before, which dictated that you look your best when doing business with anyone, even a colleague.

If I were currently looking for work, however, I wouldn't even go to the grocery store without dressing up at least a little bit (like what I wore today - definitely no jogging pants or old hoodies). You never know when you might meet an old colleague (a great source for job leads) or a potential employer when standing in line at the deli counter.

So because of the expectations more traditional businesspeople may have for college staff, I will do my best for the rest of the summer to dress up a little more. It's tough when it's hot, and when my Generation Y "Why?" attitude kicks in to ask for the reason behind wearing a blazer/jacket in 30C+humidity. But if it helps someone I'm working with land a job, it's worth the sweat and the drycleaning.

For more on the differences between generations, see CIO.com, on differences or BNet, on busting the myth of generational differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment