Friday, April 4, 2008

Conferences as a networking strategy

Going to conferences is a great way to meet people who can help you with your career development later on! Students usually get a good rate too, and often if you volunteer to help out, you get in for really cheap or free!

For example, I'm going to the Ontario Alliance of Career Development Practitioners annual conference, Opportunities (see http://www.onestep.on.ca/opportunities/) this week. I had to take time off work to do it, but I have worked some overtime to make up the difference. As a student at the moment, I have the opportunity to volunteer as well, so my entrance to the conference is very cheap!

My goals for the conference are as follows:

a) to absorb as much info as possible!
b) to meet lots of colleagues, learn about what they're doing and share what I'm doing;
c) to develop some new relationships, both for information sharing and professional friendships.

I'll post when I return on how it went!

No comments:

Post a Comment